#1 THREAT TO SAN PEDRO AND SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES.....
25 MILLION GALLONS OF LPG/BUTANE STORED AT 2110 N. GAFFEY STREET, SAN PEDRO!!!!!!!
An informed public is a positive force for our families' safety. Our homes were here BEFORE these tanks were built! The City of LA KNEW they were allowing the Liquid Petroleum Gas (butane) tanks to be built on the PV Fault and in a liquefaction zone. The Port planned and built "Energy Island" as a safe-haven for hazardous facilities. Congresswoman Jane Harman secured MILLIONS of Federal tax dollars to build the island predicated on Public Safety! Instead it's become a container terminal!
WE PAID...THE HAZARDS STAYED!
A recent "Risk Analysis" of this facility estimates a blast radius from an EXPLOSION at Rancho LPG could exceed 6.7 miles!!! Within a 3-mile radius we estimated there are 20 elementary schools, 9 high schools, 2 hospitals, 9 LAFD and LAPD stations, the Coast Guard HQ, Harbor College, the Vincent Thomas Bridge, 110 Freeway, the Port of LA, many churches, and thousands of homes and businesses.
TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE!!! TELL THE CITY, STATE AND FEDS TO MOVE THIS FACILITY NOW!!! WE NEED YOUR PARTICIPATION. (SIGN A PETITION)
Review the report below, as well as other documents related to this issue. (Some of the files below are large and may take a few minutes to download).
Commentary by J. Dexter Peach to Congress
. View Info.
Rancho Palos Verdes letter to Councilwoman Hahn re: the LPG tanks
Recent Findings of Lack of Maintenance and oversight of aging pipelines in San Bruno
- Carl Southwell (Risk Expert) Discussion Paper. Download
- Powerpoint Presentation of At Risk Area. Download the PDF version here.
- Quantitative Risk Analysis for Gaffey St. Butane Storage Facility.
Report can be downloaded here.
- Demonstration and Explanation of a BLEVE. Click here to view the U-Tube video.
- Related letters sent. Hazmat, LAUSD, City Planning Dept, & RPV City Council.
- Is the Rancho LPG Holdings, Petroleum Storage Facility at 2110 N. Gaffey, San Pedro, an "Ultrahazardous Activity" as defined in the Restatement of Torts 2nd? See Document and Exhibits.
Document only (Short version)
- Los Angeles Times Article and also San Pedro News-Pilot article from 1979. View articles.
- LA Times Article from July 16, 1977. View article.
- LA Times Article from April 4, 1977. View article.
- Response to letter sent to LA County District Attorney's Office Consumer Protection Division by Anthony Patchett, Esq. View letter.
- Document related to similar issue in the City of Elk Grove, CA including comments on Negative Declaration. View document.
2/23/13 - Citing 'accident' risk, Rancho LPG storage facility opponents want tanks moved. Daily Breeze news story.
2/23/13. Residents Fear Risk From Butane, Propane Plant. News story by NBC.
Posted 11/3/12 - Daily Breeze Article: Foul odor in South Bay leads to violation for Rancho LPG in San Pedro
Posted 10/4/12 - Recent CityWatchLA article
Living in a Valor Vacuum written by Janet Gunter
9/13/12 - EVERYDAY WE ARE THREATENED BY RANCHO LPG ...& THE CITY AND PORT KEEP MONTHLY RENEWING THEIR PERMIT
As if the opportunity for disaster isn't already obvious enough....now we have this below. AND RANCHO LPG HAD A RAIL CAR ACCIDENT MARCH 8, 2012..... BY THE GRACE OF GOD NO RUPTURE! And yet...the City and Port of LA continue to blithe-fully renew Rancho's rail permit monthly ignoring all potential of catastrophe or liability responsibility. Why does the disaster have to happen first??
See Liquid Petroleum Gas Fact Sheet
Councilman’s Fact Finding on Gas Hazards at LA’s Port … Short on Facts
Link to article here.
Other CityWatchLA articles:
Chemical, Fuel Storage Tanks Subject of LA City Public Safety Meeting (Link to article on NBC.com)
Rancho/Plains Oil Accident in Canada: Paste the following link into your browser.
Community Poses Tough Questions About San Pedro Butane Tanks.
Watch NBC video. Paste the following link into your browser.
VIEW LATEST "LA TIMES" ARTICLE:
San Pedro residents revive debate about gas storage tanks' safety. Link to article.
Watch this You Tube Video of a 50 Cal weapon vs. a Small Propane Tank.
Who has access to weapons like this? Click on this link to find out: Weapons turned in to the LAPD during Buy Back program; Rocket launcher weapons as a means of terrorism or nuisance behavior.
OCTOBER 30, 2010: THE COMMUNITY
RALLIES IN SUPPORT OF
RELOCATING THE TANKS.....
COUNCILWOMAN, JANICE HAHN, SUPPORTS THE EFFORT...AND SIGNS THE PETITION.